A characteristic monument of Russian architecture of the late XIX - early XX centuries, plays a major role in the ensemble of the pre-revolutionary development of the city center.
It is of interest as a historical monument. The author is unknown.
The building was built in 1886, until 1896 it belonged to the famous Ural wine merchant V.A. Poklevsky-Kozell, a representative of the "Trading House Heirs of A.F.Poklevsky-Kozell". With the introduction of the state wine monopoly of the cellar, the wine shop and the house he sold to the city, since then it is a public building (People's House). By their nature, the people's houses of the 1900s were in many ways the forerunners of future workers' clubs.
The People's House brought a significant revival to the life of the city. Performances were organized here by the forces of the local intelligentsia, lecture readings were organized with the display of slides on general education topics. At the People's House there was a library-reading room, it was willingly visited by workers.
During the revolution of 1905 – 1907, the building was the center of the revolutionary struggle of the workers of the city of Kostanay. Mass meetings and rallies were held in and around this building, as well as the election of delegates to the II State Duma in February 1907.
In 1918, the building housed the executive committee of the Kostanay County Council. In April 1919, the building housed the headquarters, a strong point that led the main forces of the rebels, who held the defense of the city from the White Guards. In the same year, the Kolchak investigative commission worked in the People's House. Mass executions of participants of the Red Partisan uprising were carried out in the courtyard near the "Red Wall".
After the restoration of Soviet power, the building housed a dormitory of the party school, a library. Since 1936 – the Regional Museum of Local History. Since 1993, the building has been leased to Kunai LLP. After reconstruction and renovation, the restaurant "Maidan" was located, later the restaurant "Delicious Life".
Since 2008, the office of the Department of Culture of the Akimat of Kostanay region has been located here.
Description of the monument
Dating of the monument: the end of the XIX century, 1896
Location: Kostanay, Al-Farabi Avenue, 60.
The building is two-storeyed of burnt brick, not plastered, was built as a merchant's house. Based on the spatial planning solution, the house consists of the main volume, which housed living rooms and a shop on the ground floor and adjacent to it from the north-eastern courtyard facade of the utility and utility rooms, extending an extended (47.5 m), almost a blank wall into the alley.
The first floor is buried, highlighted by the riverbed. The vertical rhythm of the facade is formed by blades that do not reflect the internal structure of the building, and windows with richly processed platbands. Windows with a bow lintel and with curly sandricks, on the second floor in the form of a smoothly curved shelf between two decorative elements resembling the shape of a capital. Platbands and sandricks are highlighted in white. The building is crowned with a sub-cornice profiled belt, a cornice with crackers curved in the middle by a semicircular arch and a brick parapet interrupted by cubic columns.
The roof is hip with a metal coating, the windows are double, double-leaf, wooden floors. The height of the building is 9.5 m.
Adjacent to the house, protecting the yard space, is a massive brick fence with a gable roof. The wooden gates of the fence are flanked by high brick arches with arch openings, decorative brickwork repeating the pattern used in the processing of facades and paired columns identical to the pillars of the parapet.